Monday, October 26, 2015

Trees and Angels

I have spent three evenings working on charting the tree and angels on the 1801 sampler.
That may seem like  a lot of time, but there are so many little stitches to place for the leaves, it has taken what seems like forever. The angels have also been a challenge.  I have finally figured out that each one has its arms outstretched to the side holding onto the tree.   The wings are bit tricky, but I will do my best to chart them as Joanne stitched them. 


Under the tree and angels is a Biblical verse from Genesis, "The serpent tempted me and I did eat."  It makes me think that this may have started as an Adam and Eve sampler, but for some reason she replaced them with angels.  Perhaps Adam and Eve were too difficult to stitch, but given the work done on the rest of the sampler I don't see how this would have been too hard.  The piece is stitched on 60 or 65 count linen, and has satin stitch, chain stitch, cross stitch - not the work of a beginner.

Now that the charting is done, I am about to start stitching.  I have already stitched the bones of the tree, but I imagine it is going to take me quite some time to add all the little leaves.


I have also been working on how to chart the ribbons across the center of the piece.  The row of ribbon and bows is all done in chain stitch, and at this time I have not found a way in PC Stitch to chart a chain stitch. I have decided to use a grey backstitch to "draw" the ribbon and the stitcher will have to follow free hand with chain stitches.

Once the main tree is finished, I should be about 2/3 finished, which means the end is in sight. I can't wait to get this finished and framed.  I only hope that if it is published as a chart, the stitching community as a whole embraces it and enjoys it as much as I have.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment