Monday, October 5, 2015

Today my new sampler arrived.  It is my first Scottish sampler.  Normally I would immediately remove the sampler from the frame and check it for authenticity, and to make sure it is backed with acid free board, but the frame is labeled as having been conserved/restored.  There is wear, especially at the corners, that I can see through the glass, and the piece has been mounted onto a piece of linen, also visible through the areas of wear.

There is the typical red/green in one of the bands, which is a strong indicator of a Scottish sampler, and the alphabet is embellished with the typical curly-cues of Scottish work.

The verse at the top reads "Fear God and keep His commandments is the whole duty of man."

The threads used in the name and date have faded, and are difficult to see, but it is by Margaret Newman, 1768.  There are sets of initials in different areas, as well a ship, a peacock, birds, trees, what appears to be a pomegranate, and an animal which has a long tail that curls back on itself, so I am thinking a cat or a lioness.  The linen thread count is very small, it looks to be about 60 count.  The alphabets have no J or Q and the S is stitched like an f, which is common in older pieces. I am still working out some of the lettering, in one band it appears to be F   I   I, a heart, I  F  A  M  P  and two more letters that I can't make out right now because the threads have faded to the same color as the ground.

The border has a flower pattern that is mirrored left and right, and the top and bottom are flowering trees and bushes.

Just from what I can see, there is cross stitch, queen stitch, satin stitch, chain stitch, and one I can never remember the name of, I will have to look it up in my resource books.  You work over two threads, stitch from the center hole and out to each of the surrounding holes, pulling the threads tight to form and open hole.

It will be a while before I get around to charting this piece, and when I do, I will need to take it out of the frame to make it easier to count threads and see stitches, but until then, she is going on my wall out of direct sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment